Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Little Fellow Follows Me

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I found this while doing some coaching research on the legendary basketball coach, John Wooden. 
In case you did not know, Coach Wooden was voted the greatest coach of all time by The Sporting News in 2009. Coach Wooden passed away in 2010 at the age of 99.
Coach Wooden won 10 national championships at UCLA, winning more than 80 percent of his games over 27 seasons. When asked about his winning ways and success, he constantly shifted focus away from that and said that true fulfillment came from the rewards of a life spent teaching, mentoring and improving lives.

One of the amazing things I found out about him was that he kept this poem in his wallet with him at all times, right up to his death. Through all the championships, games, travel, accolades and practices.
It just so happens that the poem was presented to Coach in 1936 when his son was born but he said it helped him along the way remember the true meaning of coaching throughout his amazing career. 
If this is good enough for the greatest coach of all time........it is good enough to share with everyone.
Enjoy.

A Little Fellow Follows Me

A careful man I want to be,
a little fellow follows me.
I do not dare to go astray,
for fear he'll go the self-same way.
I cannot once escape his eyes,
what err he sees me do he tries.
Like me he says he's going to be,
the little chap who follows me.
He thinks that I am good and fine,
believes in every word of mine.
The base in me he must not see,
the little chap who follows me.
I must remember as I go,
through summer sun and winter snow,
I'm building for the years to be,
that little chap who follows me.



No comments:

Post a Comment